Friday, October 26, 2012

Aboriginal and Christianity

  

What a friend we have in Jesus?

White man came
With a Bible in his hands
Ransacked my culture
Dispossessed my lands

Then he closed his eyes
And said 'amen'
Broke his bread
Then shared it with his children.

Forced Jesus
Into my mind
My mind was wild
Forced Jesus into my heart
My heart was wild
Forced Jesus into my body
My body was wild
Forced Jesus into my soul
My soul was wild.

I became angry
I became confused
You say He is good
But I was abused.

Are you black Jesus?
Are you being used?

Did they crucify you to share my blues?
White man came
With a Bible in his hand.

Now Jesus is my brother
He was traded for my land.
Poem by K L Burns, MRRC Silverwater Correctional Centre

 __________________________________________________________________
This was a poem I found when I was working on my research project for my mission trip coming up this November 13.  Most Western colonists were Christians and as it is written in the poem, on the one hand, they had Bibles carried with them, and on the other hand, they had rifle/sword to conquer.
Such irony but this was the truth. The pain, sorrow, hurt..among the Aboriginals..
People are wearing masks to fake themselves and others in the name of Love but this needs to stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment